It’s baking time, that’s for sure. I’ve got a party to go tomorrow and I’m bringing 3 dozen cookies. I finally found a recipe to use up nearly a whole box of candy canes. I had the candy canes with red and green stripes, you can see the green flecks in the cookies. Hooray! They are pretty tasty, too. I like the brown sugar in this recipe. It’s lovely. This recipe makes about 4 dozen cookies.
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening, at room temp – I just substituted 1/2 cup butter. I was all out of shortening.
3/4 cup white sugar
3/4 cup light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups flour
1 cup crushed candy cane, measure after crushing – my favourite part. How do you measure a cup of candy canes BEFORE they’re crushed? Heheheh.
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Beat together the butter, shortening, white sugar, and brown sugar.
3. Beat in the eggs, and vanilla extract.
4. Combine the baking soda, salt and flour in a small bowl. Gradually beat this mixture into the creamed mixture.
5. Beat well.
6. Stir in the crushed candy canes.
7. Drop onto lightly greased cookie sheets by tsps; keeping 2″ apart. 8 Bake at 350 for 11-13 minutes or until lightly golden brown around edges.
I had a lovely weekend that included snowshoeing, baking, and sleeping. Whoa. I guess I needed that. I slept a lot – getting ready for the weeks ahead, including the Shaw Christmas party next Saturday.