A treasure from the Maritimes

by Carol Browne on May 25, 2008 · 13 comments

in General

Mike was quite excited when found this glass at his Nanny’s place in Nova Scotia back in 2000. Sadly, we were there for her funeral and his mom said we could have it. I never understood why he liked it so much, other than it was his Grandma’s and I figured it had some nice memories for him. He said it was some kind of jar and I just assumed it was jelly or a jam jar. Mike happily drinks his juice out of this cup and I didn’t get it. But tonight while watching the Trailer Park Boys, I watched Mike’s people laugh at this very glass. The mustard cup, they called it. Apparently it was the container for Schwartz Mustard. Well, now that the Trailer Park Boys liked it, I’m excited about it, too. So excited, I took 4 pictures of it. Here you go!

I’m sure it’s very valuable. Maybe I should put it in my china cabinet.

I spent many hours today weeding and weeding and weeding and cutting the lawn today. I’d take a picture to show you, but now it just looks like a tidy garden which wouldn’t really be all that interesting unless I took a picture of the BEFORE shot. And that wasn’t going to impress anyone…I’d hate to tarnish my image of a tidy gardener. Anyway, the front’s looking neat and trim, and next weekend I’ll tackle the back. Yeesh. It’s a jungle back there. I’ve got to bust out the weedwacker and do a major clean up. I’ll take pictures of that. Maybe.

All that time doing manual labour got me thinking about the visitors we’ll be having this summer. My mom and sister will be here mid-June and Mike’s mom and dad will be here in September. I thought of a few places we can take them while they’re here. They are super touristy, but quite enjoyable. You just have dodge the gift shops on the way out.

1) Capilano Suspension Bridge – we’ll just wear shoes with great traction for that adventure.
2) Grouse Mountain – another North Shore excursion. But fun! It’s changed a lot since I was there last.
3) Granville Island WITH the Aquabus.
4) The Big Yellow Barn in Chilliwack. It’s a great farmer’s market with fresh corn and other goodies in the Wack. I love that place. And the drive is nice.
5) The Vancouver Aquarium – Our very snazzy aquarium with Beluga Whales

I’ll start collecting coupons and discounted tickets now. There’s plenty around for the locals.

{ 13 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Dianne May 26, 2008 at 4:00 am

Oh, I love those mustard glasses. It brings back memories of my childhood too. I do believe they are a collector’s item now, so you better hold on to that one…:)

2 michelle May 26, 2008 at 12:26 pm

mom and dad have one … it is the larger size, though … before the picture even loaded, i knew what glass it was … it’s one of my favourites, too! i’ll have to steal it and hide it away for my retirement fund. ;)

3 Kell May 26, 2008 at 4:53 pm

If I had of kept those glasses from my childhood, I would keep mine in the china cabinet now!
All these years I thought it had once held peanut butter.
I envy Mike getting to use one every day. ;)

4 Kel May 26, 2008 at 4:57 pm

On my trip down memory lane with your glass pictures, I typed ‘Schwartz Mustard cup’ into Google and the only link with the actual cup directed me to your site.

5 ablom May 26, 2008 at 7:13 pm

I just bought a used brush cutter from a faller freind of mine. It’s kinda like a week wacker for sapplings. Like anything under four inches. Should I bring it down on Friday?

6 ablom May 26, 2008 at 7:15 pm

OK I’ve been out in the sun all day working on the ‘tired gardens drip irrigation. It must have fried the "speller" part of my brain…

7 Carol Browne May 26, 2008 at 11:33 pm

SWEET! I’m in for the brush cutter! Thanks!

8 michelle May 28, 2008 at 5:43 pm

update … mom and dad have 2 of the larger mustard glasses! they are a bit worn from years of use, but i drank my milk from one at dinner tonight. :)

9 Andrew Cranford May 1, 2011 at 5:38 pm

I had recently found one of those cups too but underground. The red has slightly faded on the outside of the glass but it’s still pretty mint. I don’t know what year it’s from but I’m guessing it was sometime in the 50s or 60s

10 Kevin Day-Thorburn March 13, 2012 at 7:16 am

Nice post. I have a larger version of the pictured glass and a couple of similar size that were made for Canada’s centennial (1967). It is amazingly difficult to find information about these!

11 Charlie July 19, 2012 at 5:33 am

These 5-ounce glasses are vintage 1950-70′s. Prepared mustard was sold in them. We had a few left over from the days of children. I have a collection of eleven plus one counterfeit item of unknown origin. The counterfeit item has smaller hearts etc. and no top or bottom bunting.

12 Tom Connors August 3, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Hi, I too saw the episode of the Trailor Park Boys with the mustard glass, I started looking for one after that. I now have 60+ including 1 mustard and one ketsup with both the label and cover. Always looking for more

13 Clarence August 18, 2012 at 3:39 am

I think they contained also peanut butter ! I collect them when found in good condition. Diswahers ruins them.