You guys are a very, very, very clever lot. I need to tell you that without the help of the following people, this quilt would never have gotten this far. And by, “this far”, I mean 3 whole blocks sewn today. Firstly, sewing with t-shirt material is tricky. Thankfully, Lelainia told me to pick up something called, “tricot interfacing” to stabilize this stretchy fabric. Then Jean told me to pick it up at Fabricana because they were having a half-price sale on this fancy stabilizer on the long weekend. Instead of paying $62 for 7 metres of stabilizer, I paid $31. Hooray! Once I got the hang of it, it made the sewing of the fabric lovely – with clean and straight lines. The trick is to use your iron like you’re dabbing the heat on the fabric – not pushing the iron over the tricot stuff. It wrinkles up. I learned that today.
Usually I’m in too much of a hurry/too impatient to pin things, but I took a deep breath and pinned the right sides together so they wouldn’t slip around and look crappy and puckery once sewn. It felt like it took ages, but I think I’ll get quicker. Here’s the progress so far.
I’ve got a nice square with Christopher Walken on it, and another square with a bit of a washed out, but still visible JAWS on it. And this little guy:
By the time I got to this little square, I checked my Facebook page to find Cynthia had offered me some helpful advice – use a longer stitch with a teeny bit of zig zag for a flatter seam. Guess what? It worked! I will keep my sewing machine on zig zag and #3 for the next few weeks at least.
That tiny little pumpkin is actually a tag on the inside of a shirt. You can see the ribbing it’s attached to. I decided to keep as many details of a t-shirt as I can, I kept in the seams – using both the inside and outside, cute little tags and cool logos. I cannot wait to sew in Mike’s Halloween underpants. I’ll be keeping the Joe Boxer elastic in them.
I have to also mention that I stole the name, “Man Quilt” from my buddy, Kellie (no website I’m aware of, but she’s a good pal on the Facebook). And next time, I’ll be using the name, Testosterquilt, stolen from Brenda (also a good pal on the Facebook).
If it wasn’t for you guys, I’d just have a wrinkly old t-shirt quilt – not a clean, sharp Testosterquilt for Mike.
I owe you all a debt of gratitude.